We’ve been hearing that young people are leaving Facebook and migrating to Instagram and Snapchat. The report on 2014 Facebook Demographics & Statistics shows some numbers behind this trend.
1) Teens (13-17) on Facebook have declined –25.3% over the last 3 years.
2) Over the same period of time, 55+ (perhaps those teens’ parents and grandparents?) have exploded with +80.4% growth in the last 3 years.
3) Of the major metropolitan areas, San Francisco saw the highest growth with +148.6%, a stark contrast with Houston which saw +23.8% growth.
Young adults age 18-24 have also been leaving Facebook, although at lower rates than younger teens.
Based on my limited anecdotal evidence, Instagram is currently one of the hottest online tools for teens.
- Creating a Facebook page is high on list of high school writing lessons (Cost of College)
- A wholesome Facebook profile especially important for scholarship students (Cost of College)